Are you ready to test your “chops” regarding intellectual property (IP) searching and filing at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) again? Our first quiz was so popular we have decided to provide you with IP challenge #2. Go ahead and test your knowledge. You may be surprised at what you know or what you thought you knew about searching and filing with the USPTO.
1. At the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office), the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) is available to file forms:
- Monday through Friday during normal business from 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST
- 24 hours a day Monday through Friday (weekends reserved for maintenance)
- 24 hours a day, seven days a week (with some exceptions due to maintenance or unexpected outages)
2. TEAS has specific PDF requirements when submitting a form to the USPTO. Which requirements, if not met, may cause the USPTO to not validate the form and not accept the PDF attachments?
- If the overall file size is over 5 MB this may prevent TEAS from validating the form
- If the form contains any multimedia, such as sound or video, TEAS may not validate the form.
- Neither a or b
- Both a and b
3. True or False: The USPTO offers certified searches of all trademark and/or patent search results when requests are submitted using the USPTO approved form.
4. True or False: The Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) allows the public to conduct free online searches of the USPTO records. Searchers may access registered and pending marks.
5. Trademark assignments may be searched using Assignments on the Web (AOTW) from what year forward?
- From 1955 to the present
- From 1965 to the present
- From 1975 to the present
- From 1980 to the present
6. True or False: All trademark assignment filings are submitted using the Electronic Trademark Assignment System (ETAS). After a trademark assignment filing is submitted via ETAS, it is never verified or modified by the USPTO.
7. Which USPTO patent site, allows you to check the status of a pending patent application?
- PAIR (Patent Application Information Retrieval System)
- PEBC (Patent Electronic Business Center)
- PatFT (Patent Full-Text and Image Database)
- AppFT (Patent Application Full-Text and Image Database)
8. The USPTO houses full text for patents issued from:
- 1900 to the present
- 1955 to the present
- 1976 to the present
- 1980 to the present
9. The USPTO patent assignment search database contains all recorded patent assignment information from:
- August 1900 to the present
- August 1955 to the present
- August 1976 to the present
- August 1980 to the present
10. True or False: There is no fee charged by the USPTO when recording a patent assignment filing electronically. When filing trademark assignment filings, the USPTO does charge a trademark assignment filing fee when filing electronically.
From what year forward are copyright filings also found on the USPTO database?
- 1995 forward
- 1970 forward
- 1985 forward
- None of the above. You’ve got to be kidding. Copyrights are never found on the USPTO database.
Answers: 1) C 2) D 3) False 4) True 5) A 6) True 7) A 8) C 9) D 10) True Extra Credit: D
Did we stump you the second time around? Don’t worry! Visit our Federal Intellectual Property Services page to find how we can ensure you’ve got your IP bases covered.
This article is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered, or relied upon, as legal advice.