Chinese Embassy in D.C. Changes Identification Requirements: Consulate Requirements Vary

By: Clare Oliva, COGENCY GLOBAL INC. on Mar 6, 2018 3:03:02 PM

PassportIf you ever need documents legalized for use in China, take note of a new rule the Chinese Embassy in D.C. has implemented. The embassy will no longer accept a copy of a driver’s license as the personal identification for the legal representative of a company. Instead, a copy of the passport must be attached to the G-1 application form and the number inserted in the appropriate box in Section 2. An updated version of the current requirements for the G-1 form is below:

  1. For company applicants, the original signature of legal representative (officer, director or counsel) must be provided in Section 8 of the form.
  2. A copy of that individual’s personal identification (only a passport will be accepted) must be provided as well.
  3. Sections three and four of the form must be filled out with the reason for legalization and an indication of where in China the document will be used.
  4. The person or company submitting the documents to the embassy must be listed as agent in Section 7, and must also provide identification. COGENCY GLOBAL must be listed in this section for all legalizations we are handling.
  5. The form must be typed in ALL CAPITAL letters. Forms completed by hand will not be accepted.

Are the Consulates Still Accepting Driver’s License as ID?

When we asked the China consulate offices whether they, too, will now be requiring the passport ID instead of the driver’s license, the responses were mixed. Here’s what we learned:

  • Chicago: passport or driver’s license
  • Houston: passport only
  • Los Angeles: passport only
  • New York: passport or driver’s license
  • San Francisco: passport only

A copy of the G1 form is available on the Authentication and Legalization Resources page of our website. For assistance with document legalization for China, reach out to your COGENCY GLOBAL client service specialists.